Internship: Minority Report

Minority Media Inc. is one of the coolest companies I’ve had the pleasure of working for.  This small indie developer is comprised of people who used to work for AAA publishers, like EA, Ubisoft, and Square Enix.  Rather than spend their time making cookie cutter games, they wanted to make games that the players could really connect with.

Papo & Yo is Minority’s most popular game – earning numerous awards and receiving praise from tons of reviews.  The story revolves around a young boy named Quico who has a very interesting friend – a monster named Papo with a dangerous addiction to poisonous frogs.  Normally, Quico and Papo are friends, but when Papo eats one of these frogs, he loses control.  But Quico loves Papo and wants to help him get rid of this addiction, so the two must go on a journey to find a cure.  They must traverse beautiful environments and solve difficult puzzles together, meaning Quico must find ways to deal with all of Papo’s emotions, especially when he’s eaten a poisonous frog.  

There’s so much effort being put into these games, there’s not a lot of time to market these games.  That’s where I come in.  I’m the new marketing coordinator, meaning I spend most of my time researching new marketing strategies and presenting them to the business people.  Last Thursday, I put the finishing touches on an eighteen page document, explaining all of our strategies, how to carry out those strategies, and a timetable showing where things are taking place.  If you would like to be a part of this plan, set aside some time on April 18thand visit www.reddit.com/r/Iama to hear our CEO answer questions about Minority, Papo, and his life.  

Working at Minority has taught me so much about what it takes to market indie games on a global scale, and what it means to work for a major game design company.   I am so glad to be able to work with them, and I hope to work with them full time someday.  

– Written by Zachary Agostine, Marketing Major + Game Producer, Spring 2013