SCI 155 Botanical Gardens Outing

Normal
0

false
false
false

EN-US
X-NONE
AR-SA

/* Style Definitions */
table.MsoNormalTable
{mso-style-name:”Table Normal”;
mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0;
mso-tstyle-colband-size:0;
mso-style-noshow:yes;
mso-style-priority:99;
mso-style-parent:””;
mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt;
mso-para-margin:0in;
mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt;
mso-pagination:widow-orphan;
font-size:12.0pt;
font-family:”Cambria”,”serif”;
mso-ascii-font-family:Cambria;
mso-ascii-theme-font:minor-latin;
mso-hansi-font-family:Cambria;
mso-hansi-theme-font:minor-latin;}

Olympic StadiumWe started our SCI 155 lab excursion on Friday morning by walking through the Olympic Park, which is interesting on its own because of how massive it is. I think that it would be really cool to try to get into one of these buildings just to see their internal structure.

Finally making it to the botanical gardens, we started by looking at one of the exhibits and exuberantly fill out the worksheet we were told to complete. After getting all of the information we needed we then moved on to the insectarium. On the walk to the insectarium we walked past many ofman sculpture at mosaicultures the really cool plant sculptures. Sadly we did not have enough time to admire and appreciate these beautifully crafted creations. Falling a bit behind the group, I photographed some of these rare creations.

The insectarium was really cool. They had every imaginable bug from fossils of the oldest prehistoric bugs to todays strangest bugs trapped in glass cases. There were also tons of dried out bugs and in the short 20 or so minute time period we were in there I saw at least 2,000 different insects. I thought that the coolest bug in there was the stick bug. I don’t know why I am so fascinated with this specific creature, but I just think that it is really cool that it can insectariumalmost completely disappear amongst the branches of any tree. There was a case full of stick bugs. At first glance, it did not even look like there was anything in the case but a small bush type plant. Upon further inspection I realized that the entire case was full of stick bugs and also some even weirder leaf looking bugs. A predator could walk past a bush with a huge family of these stick bugs such as the one in the case and be completely oblivious to there existence. I cannot remember ever seeing a stick bug out in nature but I am more than 100% sure that my untrained eye has wandered over these bugs in passing many, many times.

After the insectarium we wandered past more cool sculptures and a neat Japanese garden. We ended up getting to a random forest area. It was here that we completed the worksheet by filling out attributes of the ecosystem and biome around us. It was really fun. We then hurried on towards the exit of the park.

– Nate Fultz, Graphic Design Major, Fall 2013