Interning in Montreal

photoLet me get one thing straight: Champlain College study abroad program in Montreal is not only for “gamers”. If I believed what was being said on campus in Burlington, I would have never studied abroad in Montreal. With the city being the hub of major international gaming companies, most of Champlain’s gamers and designers come here to experience the city and take advantage of the great internship opportunities that may arise. However, with the help of faculty and staff, interning in Montreal is equally feasible for all dedicated students regardless of majors.

Coming to Montreal, one of my goals was to find an internship that would broaden my knowledge about management and finance as well as strengthen my experiences about culture differences and adaptations. The International Education Program Assistant Internship has done just that and little bit more.

From finding organizations where our students can volunteer to assisting and implementing trips to Ottawa and Quebec City, the internship has allowed me to experience business operations at its core. I am now better able to help plan and manage campus wide activities, group outings, monumental visits etc. Having been exposed to different levels of resources management and many aspects of resources allocation, I learned to efficiently use and deploy assets that I am working with and successfully monitor my projects.

Time management has been a key component of my internship experience as well. With goals and deliverables outlined at the beginning of the session, I have been proficient in turning in finished projects on time while juggling school work, personal time and experiencing the city. I have learned to better prioritize my projects based on available materials and actual requirements that I have to fulfill.

I have also gained knowledge working with numbers as well. Part of my duty was to complete and submit expense reports for the students trips. In accordance to our budget, I calculate and assess the outflow of money that occurred during the trips and make sure they were accurate to our records. Additionally, I comprehend better the difficulties of cultural adaptations in terms of language, different ways of communications and food. During the internship, I was always encouraged to take on new initiatives and learn from them. Hands down to the Montreal Staff, Genevieve, Stefi and Gigi. It has been a wonderful opportunity and couldn’t ask for a better experience.

– Billy St-Louis, International Business Major, Spring 2014