My Second Montreal Summer

I studied abroad in Montreal during the 2013 Spring Semester. While abroad, I was lucky enough to intern at a creative studio called Nomad Industries. I ended up taking a paid position there and stayed for the summer. I went back to school in Burlington to finish my studies in Digital Filmmaking. As graduation approached, I made the decision to apply for a work visa and move back to Montreal. I didn’t have much of a plan but I knew that I wanted to go back. My first two months back in the city I worked for MTL Blog, one of Montreal’s largest online networks. If you want to know what’s happening in the city, you look at MTL Blog. At MTL Blog I filmed and edited live events, promotional videos, and recap videos. They also have a weekly segment called Anchorman MTL and I filmed and edited an episode of that as well.

Work started to slow down and in a fortunate turn of events, Jason Rodi, owner of Nomad, offered me 539789_580279312043963_1737835675_na paid position yet again for the summer. I started working there at the end of June and stayed until the end of August. This time around, the dynamic was slightly different because Jason was working on a pilot project for the summer called Nomad Live. The goal of this project was to provide a constant stream of content to Montrealers online at nomadlive.tv. I was lucky enough to be able to further immerse myself in the culture of the city by going to events with Jason and the rest of the Nomad Live team.

I filmed Mulatu Astatke, the father of Ethio-jazz, in an incredible studio as he was rehearsing for the Montreal Jazz Festival. I also filmed Festiblues International de Montreal, Atmosph’air Sur la Plaza, and most notably, Osheaga Music Festival. I first visited Montreal in August 2012 specifically to attend Osheaga. I immediately fell in love with the city and all I could think about was that I wanted to film this festival. Two years later, I was at Osheaga again, but this time to film. I was backstage, I was in the photo barricade in front of the crowd, I was even given a backstage bracelet from Outkast’s audio guy, Darcy Khan. Over the course of the weekend, I filmed: Outkast, Cut Copy, Lykke Li, Chromeo, The Temper Trap, AFI, July Talk, Sam Roberts Band, and Travis Scott.

nomad logoI am so lucky and grateful to have been able to work for both MTL Blog and Nomad. Nomad, in particular, will always be a very special place to me. Jason is an incredible mentor and has given me amazing opportunities for two summers now. I have learned so much from working with him and the rest of the talented Nomad team.

– Kelsey Smith, Montreal Alumni, Fall 2014