Internship with Minority Media

15317077574_ba3f4ca83b_oMany people think that the games industry is all creative, and while they’re not wrong, there is a huge portion of the video game industry that revolves around business and management. These two things are the part that I like, and that allows me to work in video games alongside some of the most creative people on the planet and not look like an amateur. Which is exactly what I did while working at Minority Media.

Minority Media is a small indie development company with some huge ambitions and some insanely talented people. They’re the minds behind some incredible games such as Papo Y Yo, Locomotors, and the newly released Spirits of Spring. The premise for these games, and even Minority as a company, was to make games that don’t include violence at the core of the game. Papo Y Yo was a game about a child trying to save his alcoholic father from himself. Spirits of Spring was a game exploring bullying as a kid and how it can impact a child. The games Minority makes are incredibly powerful and emotionally fulfilling. When it comes down to it, Minority is starting a change in video games by having a deep message in everything that they make. And I got to be a part of that! I saw firsthand the amount of passion everyone there has for video games, and it excited me! It excited me about the possibilities waiting out there in the realm of video game development.

I am currently in my third year of my Bachelor’s degree in Management of Creative Media, with a specialization in Game Production. I am wrapping up my semester abroad and my semester working for Minority. The time I spent at Minority flew by and I could not be happier with the outcome of my internship. I have learned and gained insight on just about everything I could have wanted. I was a part of the development process of a videogame, I managed the quality assurance of a game, and I met some amazing people.

There is no doubt in my mind that this has been one of the most important experiences in my life thus far. I’ve made crucial connections that will help me later on in my career and I’ve cultivated skills that will open up a vast amount of opportunities. If you’re not thinking about doing an internship, I urge you to reconsider, you will not be disappointed.minority

Cory Brennan, Management of Creative Media, Game Production, Fall 2014