Once again I went to the Game Developers Conference in San Francisco (the first time I went was in San Jose, many years ago!)
- the Conferences
- the Summits (Community Management, Indie, Free to Play, Game Narrative and Game Education … all at the same time!!)
- all the friends and contacts that I see once a year at GDC (like my step-brother who works in games in Singapore!) or the ones I see all the time in Montreal but look different without the heavy coats, scarf and hats on.
- the games!!! (What is this new version of Fable?)
- the tech (Oculus everywhere!)
- the events and parties (can’t go to many of these as I need to catch the train to my friend’s place but that is also what is great about GDC)
- The City!!!!
What I really want to talk about is the fact that I am meeting more and more Champlain students when I go to GDC! The seniors that have come to meet recruiters but also an increasing number of alumni!
I call them my babies (not sure they like that!) but here they are:
- The one who drew my cat
- The ones whose gorgeous art I see on Facebook (including previous)
- The one who works at Google
- The one who gave me a pitch for his new idea (I would buy it!!)
- The one who was alone and I worried so much for him, but he is doing well and I was glad to see him smile 🙂
- The skinny one who looks all healthy now (must be that southern air)
- The one who gave me a beta pass to an amazing game I wanted to try
- The one with the corgi, without the corgi! Same for the one with the cat!
- All the ones whose progress I followed with admiration and pride! (too many to list here)
Until our next GDC!
– Genevieve Lord, Director, Montreal Campus