The Internship Chronicles: Part II

Eva Fahantidou @ Minority Media

1265820_159579137576743_1082459333_oAs a Game Design intern at Minority Media I got to be part of the Time Machine VR development team. The game, which is available on Steam Early Access for the Oculus Rift, tasks the player with examining Jurassic-era creatures in order to save humanity. It is slated for full release in early 2016.

Seeing as Virtual Reality is a new medium for games, there were a lot of challenges the Time Machine VR team had to overcome to provide an enjoyable experience to the players. Through testing and reiteration, the more VR specific design principles came to light and the team expanded from there.

As a design intern, I play-tested the game multiple times to make sure of no game-crashing, or even more unpleasant to the player, nasty bugs, all in order to help the general linear progression of the game content. I helped out with the designer documentation and saw how document revision is crucial as production progresses. I became a more active and functional team member as I became familiar with the interdisciplinary interactions of the developers.

Being a college student had become very scary in the beginning of the semester, but being able to see myself within the industry as member of a company, talk to game developers from all over the industry, and catch a glimpse of what will hopefully be my future career, gave me all the motivation and drive I needed.

Dan Michaud @ Execution Labs

Taking this internship has changed what I planned to do after College. It’s an extremely unique opportunity that I feel everyone should capitalize on.

Over this semester I’ve been interning at Execution Labs, a company focused around getting game development teams off the ground through support, funding, etc. My role there was to create video content for both the core Execution Labs team, and the teams that were being “accelerated” at the time. Over this semester I’ve created 20 trailers, 1 in-game opening video that was used during a demo, and I’m currently working with a team to design my 21st trailer, however this one will have the most work put into it than all of the others. Consider it like a final project, if you will.Dan Execution Labs photo

Going into this Semester, I still wasn’t exactly sure what I was going to do out of college. When asked about that question I would always say something like “Well, I want to stay tied to games and I want to keep doing video things or commentary things. So, maybe like a video game commentator or someone who makes commercials or something. Not really sure.” But now that I’ve created so many trailers and have worked with so many game developers, I feel much more confident that I’m going to go on to doing game trailers once I graduate.

Execution Labs has some of the most awesome people to work with. Seriously, everyone from the core of Execution Labs to every single game developer, programmer, artists or marketer is extremely kind and loves what they’re doing. The amount of collective experience and knowledge of design in that one giant room alone is incredible. I’m thrilled to be helping how I can. Plus they have a pug. A fluffy, old, near blind, pug. What could be better?