THE INTERNSHIP CHRONICLES – JOHN

Being a film major is all around a tough sell; when people ask what I’m doing I really
can’t come up with a single answer, and it sounds like you’re bragging to just say “I make
movies”. There’s way more to it than that, and once you figure out what your niche in the whole
scheme of production is, it does seem to get easier, in your own headspace at least. Studying
abroad in Montreal was a calling to me and I was lucky enough to land an internship at Good Vibe People, a music marketing company. I was put on as a videographer, and I gained a lot from it.

If you enjoy concerts and bands and like doing a lot of handheld camera work and editing, GoodVibe People is certainly the job for you; I learned a lot and enhanced my skills in on-the-spot shooting and editing clips for social media. Working on an on-client basis can be quite invigorating after the student film scene of years prior. Adapting styles and incorporating your creative input and making a client’s vision a reality is a really rewarding feeling. Good Vibe People is also a scene where the arts and party entertainment collide, and the next big thing might just be happening there.

Once a month there are these events called “Artjams” Good Vibe
People hosts at their venue, where the marketed bands perform along with painting artists,
tattooers, and various and diverse circus-like performances. During these you are free to roam
and capture any interesting moments on camera, whether it be the performances or the
interactions between the people having a good time. Quite recently as part of further marketing
the bands, I’ve aided in a “couch sessions” episodic, filming interviews between the founder of
Good Vibe People and the bands as they talk about what their process and music and history is.
Along with this, I’ve also helped video capture events at other venues around Montreal and sift
through and edit archived footage from past ones as well. I’ve even been brought along as another
camera for a live music recording session, basically a music video that happens as the band
records their album – as shown in the photo above.

But there are a few things you should know going into this sector of the business. As a
videographer, you’re pretty much expected to be a freelancer, meaning you don’t show up to
work on a regular basis or have much company owned equipment at your disposal; I was very
lucky I had some spare money for a hand recorder, a decent camera I’d brought over the boarder,
and my Macbook pro that could roughly handle the Adobe Creative Cloud I got for christmas, or
I’d be a really screwed intern.

If you are thinking of doing an internship abroad or an internship period, do it. Your
resume is immediately worth something, your experience anywhere other than part of
coursework is so beneficial and makes you stand out. You get to see some crazy things, and
eventually working for no money will turn into something more profitable. But as a film major
your main objective is not just submitting high concept or cheesy films, it’s finding your place in
the process of making them. Once you know this, you can articulate better to the college and
later the companies you apply to work for what exactly you want to do, and once that’s done
there’s no telling where you might end up, all you know is it’s the place you want to be.